Pre-recorded slideshow presentations should be submitted in .wmv, .mp4, or .mov format, and are not to exceed 12 minutes in length. The recording should include your presentation, with your slides, voice, and any on-screen indication you would like to include (i.e. virtual laser pointer) only; please do not include video of yourself speaking. Please name files with in the following format: Lastname_Firstname_Video/Presentation. Presentation files can only be submitted after you have registered and paid for attendance. Files can be submitted here (you must be logged in to view this page).
How to record oral presentations
Recordings can be made using a variety software and we encourage you to use software you are familiar with. Our recommendation is to use PowerPoint (for Windows users) or Keynote (for Mac users) to record your presentation. Official instructions on how to record can be found here for PowerPoint or here for Keynote. We provide our own instructions on recording using PowerPoint below:
1. Open your presentation in PowerPoint.
2. Click on the Slide Show tab and click Record Slide Show.
3. You will now be in recording mode. When you are ready, press the record button in the upper left of the screen. A countdown timer will start and then you can start talking. Note that each slide is recorded separately, and you have the ability to overwrite the recording for individual slides later. Complete the entire presentation and at the end of the slides you will return to the regular slide editing mode (or hit the ESC key at any time to quit the recording and return to edit mode).
4. Now that you are back in the editing mode, you should see an audio icon in the bottom right of each slide indicating that your presentation has been recorded. Click on an audio icon to listen to your presentation for that slide. You may choose to rerecord your whole presentation or even just a single slide by following the recording steps again. Please note that this will replace your previous recording.
5. Click on File -> Export -> Create Video. Ensure that you have Use Recorded Timings and Narrations selected (this means that slides progress when your audio clip for that slide ends and not at a set interval of time) and click on the Create Video button.
6. You will need to select your save location, file name and file type (.mp4, .wmv, and .mov are acceptable formats). A small progress bar will appear at the bottom of the PowerPoint screen. Please note that 12 minute videos are large files and thus the exporting process can take along time (a 12 minute presentation is likely to take at least 12 minutes to export).
Troubleshooting and additional notes